The Stuttgart based Kaestle Ocker Roeder Architekten realised this silent and delicate interior design for the 1954 built funeral parlour in Aalen, close to their home town.
The funeral chapel at the forest cemetery in Aalen, which was built in 1954 by Karl Gonser, is part of an ensemble of buildings that shapes the place. A cloister links the two edifices – in the one the body lies and the other is the funeral chapel – at the same time creating a sort of threshold, marking the point of transition to the cemetery section. This way the final journey is also lent architectural expression and the liturgy of the burial ritual underscored. The 1954 funeral chapel has largely been preserved in its original condition. In terms of outer design, with its plain tile slanting roof it fits in with the ensemble quite matter of factly, with its greater height symbolically revealing to the outside what its function is.